Top 5 Ingredients for a Highly Efficient REMOTE WORKER
The dynamics of working in an office can be taken for granted; hallway conversations, coffee breaks, interruptions from colleagues and the boss, attending meetings, birthday breaks, lunch with colleagues, after work meet ups, etc. With remote workers, all that changes. If you have the opportunity to work from home, several conditions are necessary to feel part of the team and maximize performance, while navigating a healthy balance between your professional and personal life.
1) Create a workspace.
2) Establish clear home rules.
3) Change up your surroundings.
4) Use technology to stay connected and engaged.
5) Establish a routine.
Note to the employer: you may not feel comfortable with employees working remotely. The facts are that employees can be more productive working outside the office given a few keys ingredients:
- Make certain remote team members feel connected and have established a report with those at HQ (including HR, IT, and other key department members as necessary).
- See item 4 above. Provide a no-fuss high-quality camera Logitech c925e and microphone Blue Yeti Nano or wireless headset Jabra Evolve 65 for your employee, and invest in quality conference audio/visual hardware Meeting Owl for meetings to capture attendees well.
- Talk through expectations of one another, and trust that your remote team member(s) will do what they need to be successful. Good employees will perform well; don’t try to over-manage them. Consider training for yourself on how to manage a remote team.